Lemon water is a very healthy drink and what’s more loving about this drink is that it is cheap and easy to make. There are a lot of health and beauty benefits that you can get by drinking lemon water on a daily basis.
There was a sudden widespread knowledge about lemon water some years back and since then it has continued to make waves and a lot of people are interested in this healing drink.
This is not another health fad, I will be giving you science-backed health benefits of this citrus-flavored drink. This is a popular and essential drink for those in the health and fitness circle and even among health-conscious individuals and dieters. See also: 10 Common Habits that are Destroying your Eyes.
List of Health Benefits of Lemon Water
It Detoxifies your Body
Lemon juice is a great detoxifier, it helps get rid of toxins and poisonous substances from the body. This is because lemon juice has an atomic structure similar to that of the digestive juices found in the stomach.
Lemon water contains citric acid which protects the liver, the major organ of detoxification in your body, it boosts the natural ability of the liver to detoxify and it prevents oxidative damage.
It Dissolves Kidney Stones
A kidney stone is a condition characterized by the presence of small and hard deposits in the kidneys. A kidney stone is a painful condition that comes along with abdominal and back pain, vomiting, nausea and the presence of blood in your urine.
This common condition can be prevented by the regular intake of lemon water. Citric acid present in lemon boosts the production of urine to help fight and prevent this condition.
It also provides fast relief for kidney pains. See also: 10 Ways to Boost Hair Growth Naturally and Effectively
It Makes your Skin Glow
Lemon contains a lot of vitamin C and other powerful antioxidants which helps in beautifying your skin and giving it a natural glow. It fights inflammation and free radicals thereby slowing down the process of aging.
It aids in the production of collagen, this eliminates wrinkles, fine lines, and other skin issues. Regular consumption of lemon juice leads to a bright complexion, smooth skin, no or fewer wrinkles, and a young-looking skin.
It Boosts your Immune System
Due to the rich presence of vitamin C in lemon water, lemon water is a great immune booster. Lemon water lowers the severity and duration of infections like common cold and respiratory tract infections.
It hastens healing when you are down with malaria, pneumonia, and diarrhea and it boosts the production of white blood cells which help in fighting diseases and foreign invaders. See also: 5 Amazing Health Benefits of Papaya (Pawpaw Fruit)
It Energizes and Uplifts your Mood
A good way to start your day is by taking a full glass of lemon water on an empty stomach. It effectively boosts the levels of your energy without the caffeine crash.
Lemon water contains negatively charged ions that give a natural boost in the levels of energy. They boost your mood and reduces stress, it helps you relax well after a long hard day.
It Aids Weight Loss
Lemon water reduces the feeling of hunger and can reduce your intake of food especially when taken before a meal. It handles cravings reduces your intake of calories.
Take lemon water in place of sodas, soft drinks, energy drinks and other processed drinks that actually cause more harm than good. See also: How to Make Healthy Cucumber Juice at Home.
It Boosts Proper Digestion
Lemon water boosts the production of bile in your liver, this helps to ensure the smooth movement of food through your gastrointestinal tract.
It can boost regular bowel movement and it keeps your hydrated. Lemon water relieves a bloated stomach and it also keeps constipation and indigestion at bay.
It is a mild diuretic and it helps in keeping your urinary tract clean.
How to Make Lemon Water
This awesome healing elixir can be made by simply mixing an equal amount of lemon water and pure water. You can also combine other healthy ingredients like cucumbers, fresh mint leaves, ginger or strawberry. See also: 10 Benefits of Drinking Carrot Juice on an Empty Stomach.
- Get your fresh lemons, as much as you want
- Get clean water in a jug or bowl. You can warm the water a bit if you prefer your lemon water warm.
- Wash the lemons thoroughly under running water, this is to prevent the juice from becoming contaminated with dirt when you are squeezing them.
- Use a knife and divide the lemons into two equal parts.
- Juice them into a big cup or bowl. Squeeze them well until you get almost all the juice out of it.
- Pour the clean water from the jug into the bowl, make sure the quantity of the water is the same as that of the lemon juice.
- If the lemon water is too sour for your liking, you can add more water until you get the taste that you are comfortable with.
- You can add other ingredients like ginger, mint leaves, strawberries or cucumbers. You can also add all together.
- If you want to add fresh ginger roots, you wash the ginger very well under running water and slice them into tiny pieces and put it into the lemon water.
- If you want to add cucumbers, you wash them properly under running water and slice also into tiny pieces and put them into the freshly prepared lemon water.
- You can wash fresh mint leaves thoroughly and add them to the water, you can chop the leaves to reduce their sizes and the same goes with strawberries.