Carrot baby food is safe and very healthy for babies who are 6 months old and older. They can be used to wean babies and they are very nutritious and will boost the growth and development of the babies.
Almost every organ in the body requires carrots for proper development. This is one of the best baby foods available. Use organic carrots, they should have a rich orange color, this shows the concentration of beta-carotene and other powerful antioxidants present in the carrot.
The carrots must be cooked before giving it to babies because cooking activates beta-carotene and it also reduces the risks of allergies.
Health Benefits of Carrot Baby Food
- It boosts healthy eyesight in your baby and it protects your baby’s eyes. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene which the body converts to vitamin A.
- It makes the circulatory system healthy. It contains flavonoids that keep the heart and blood vessels healthy. This micronutrient also purifies your baby’s kidneys and helps them to filter toxins.
- It boosts the immune system, carrots increase the number of lymphocytes (white blood cells, the soldiers of the body) and platelets (they close wounds and prevent germs from entering in through open skin cuts and wounds).
- Carrots protect the liver and boost it functions. It aids the elimination of harmful substances ingested and it keeps the cells of the liver healthy when ingested regularly.
- Carrots make the blood cells healthy and it prevents uncontrolled growth of blood cells at the same time.
How to Process Carrots for Baby Food
There are 4 main ways you can process carrots to use for baby foods and they are:
You can bake thin and long slices of carrots or carrots that are disc-shaped.
How to Bake Carrots
Place the slices of carrots on a baking tray that has been greased with cooking oil or you make use of a glass casserole dish if you don’t want to use oil.
Preheat the oven to 177C and put the baking tray into the oven and bake it until the carrots turn brown or for 40 minutes.
Let the carrots cool before using them for your baby food.
SEE ALSO: How to Make Healthy Carrot Juice at Home
This is the best way to process carrots before blending it. It softens the carrots, it activates beta-carotene and it retains all the nutrients in the carrots.
How to Steam Carrots
- Clean and wash your carrots properly and then you dice them into long and thin strips.
- Put the carrots in a steamer basket and put it in a deep pan containing an inch of clean water.
- Steam the carrots using a medium flame until the carrots are soft or for ten minutes.
- You can also steam carrots by pouring them in a pot with shallow water. Steam it for 10 minutes using a low flame.
This involves cooking carrots in a cooking pot or pressure cooker. Please don’t throw away the water because it is rich in nutrients, you can drink the water or use it to blend the carrots for your baby.
How to Boil Carrots
- Chop the carrots and put them in a pot containing water
- Close the lid and boil them using medium heat for 20 minutes
- If you are using a pressure cooker, cook it for three steam whistle.
- Sieve the carrots and blend it, you can use the water to blend the carrots or you use it to cook other foods.
Roasting helps the carrots to retain its crunchiness and an older infant might like roasted carrots.
How to Roast Carrots
- Slice the carrots longitudinally or into a large disc
- Arrange them in a non-stick frying pan and cover the lid but you can leave a little opening so that steam can escape.
- Let the carrot cook on a low flame for 30 minutes.
- Let it cool before serving your baby.
How to Make Carrot Puree for Babies
- Buy and select organic carrots
- Wash the carrots properly under running water and peel their skin
- Cut away the green ends and dice them into tiny pieces
- Boil water in a bot and reduce the heat, when the bubbles are soft, add the carrots and cook them until they are tender. This should take 10 to 15 minutes.
- After that, take the pot from heat and drain the carrots. Rinse them with cold water for three minutes to stop the cooking process.
- Pour the carrots in a blender or food processor and blend until it is smooth or until it reaches your desired consistency.
- You can either serve or refrigerate it
- You can serve this to your baby that is above six months.
Once your baby is used to carrot puree, you can try mixing it up with other vegetables like:
- Green beans
- Brown rice
- Russet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut squash
Carrot puree is one of the best foods you can give to your babies and it will help them grow well and keep them healthy.